Is a Resource Consent different from a building consent?

A building consent is required under the Building Act for structures determined to be buildings under the unitary plan and generally is sought after a resource consent application in a land development subdivision. A resource consent is required under the Resource Management Act and unitary plan to cover land use, subdivision and discharge aspects of the development.